“We’re planning to sell our home. We’ve done a beautiful remodel inside our home, but our front porch is shabby. From reading your newsletter we know how important a good first impression is. Can you give us ideas to improve it that won’t cost too much?”
Of course, I haven’t seen your home, but here are potentially profitable ideas that may help you:
1. Paint, varnish, or replace the front door if needed.
2. Replace or remove any bent or torn screen doors.
3. Paint or remove any rusted security doors.
4. Be sure your doorbell works. If the first “moving part” that potential buyers see is broken, what impression does that give them about the rest of the home?
5. Buy a new polished brass or other attractive mailbox, porch light, doorbell, and address numbers. Home Depot sells them for under $250 total.
6. Get a “Welcome Friends” doormat.
7. Put pots of colorful flowers on and in front of your porch, as well as on the walkway leading to your porch.
Total cost is a bargain compared to the extra hundreds or thousands of dollars you’ll get for your San Diego home, as well as a quicker sale.