“I’m about to start my home search, but now it occurs to me that first I have to find the right neighborhood. What factors do I need to consider when choosing a neighborhood to buy in?”
There are lots of factors to consider. How you weigh them depends on what’s important to you.
Such factors include:
- What you can get for your money
- Proximity to your job, recreation, house of worship, family, etc.
- Traffic and freeway access
- Amenities such as parks, shopping, dining
- The general character (e.g. some people love North Park for its vintage homes and funkiness; others dislike old houses and prefer a consistent neighborhood)
So it’s up to you to decide what’s important to you.